ARADHEL SMITH AND VADIK CHAUSSER
- How did they first meet? They first met when Aradhel and her accipiter, Brynhedda, seek him out hoping to gain passage on his ship.
- What were their first impressions of each other? Aradhel said something not at all diplomatic, Chausser tossed his drink in her face on principle, Brynhedda tackled him, he tackled Brynhedda, and Sterling and Mat (Chausser’s first and second mates) had to break it up. So, fairly well.
- How long have they been a couple? They’re going to be one of those fun duos that’s hard to describe as a ‘couple’ most of the time. It’s not as if they ask the other person to go steady. It’s not as if a ring is exchanged. I think their relationship can be summed up well with a piece of Spike’s dialogue from Buffy the Vampire Slayer —
“You’re not friends. You’ll never be friends. You’ll be in love till it kills you both. You’ll fight and you’ll shag and you’ll hate each other till it makes you quiver, but you’ll never be friends.”
- How committed/loyal are they to each other? Would they break up over a secret or a disagreement? Could stress drive them apart? Would they die for each other? Aradhel is very loyal and Chausser is very committed, but they’re both in very different circles and circumstances. Half the time they’re at each other’s side, the other half they’re facing off depending on the political climate. They would kill for each other, but whether they would die for each other— that remains to be seen.
- List 5 “food quirks” they know about each other. (Ex: how they take their coffee, if they’re allergic to something, etc….and feel free to mention other non-food quirks!) Aradhel presses a finger against her chin when she’s heavily considering a matter. (Aside from this, I’m still figuring out their quirks.)
- Does anyone disapprove of their relationship? Chausser’s first mate, Djaq Sterling, sees it as risky. Chausser’s second mate and platonic BFF, Mathilde (Mat) approves of it for Chausser’s sake but also sees the possible danger it could throw her captain’s way.
- What would be an ideal date? An ideal date in their particular situation would be a day of smooth sailing without worrying about corsairs, assassins, void sirens, or storms. That would be a perfect date. In another situation, Chausser really isn’t ‘date’ material and Adhara has more important things to think about.
- What are their personality dynamics? Similar? Contrasting? Do they fight a lot or mesh perfectly? Adhara is clever but very new to the world of politics and intrigue, so she’s learning to speak with a gilded tongue and behave in ways befitting the heir of the Thirteenth House. Chausser is a generally straightforward man both brutal and fair, and even when their personalities clash, they usually understand one another. They’re similar in a few ways – they will do anything to protect those they care about, they have great responsibilities – and I would say they do fight a lot while meshing perfectly.
- What have been their best and worst moments together as a couple? I look forward to answering this question within the actual novel because as of yet, I have no idea. But I know there are many of both.
- Where do they see themselves and their relationship in the next few years? Chausser sees himself…somewhere important (and spoilery) and Adhara sees herself as the head of House Ophiucus. How this will work out in actuality…is not terribly promising, and they both know it. They stick to their main goals despite their feelings, and what said goals might mean for them.
You may have noticed my insinuation that this questionnaire is the first of several, and it is. Because you people are no help, and I got more answers involving two or three couples (or ‘do them all!’) than I anticipated. So yes, I’ll be answering this series of questions for several more couples thanks to all you Enormously Unhelpful people whom I love.