(Haka + Otter, The Dying of the Light)
- How did they first meet? What were their first impressions of each other? They first met when Lieutenant Takuan put an advertisement in the paper, letting people know the Precinct needed someone ‘good with animals.’ Otter was delighted to discover the ‘animals’ were Mutts, genetically mutated monsters used to track and take down criminals and fugitives. She was the only applicant. Otter immediately pegged Haka as incompetent, ill-mannered, and a human wreck. (She wasn’t wrong.) Haka pegged Otter as intimidating (though she be but little, she is fierce) and certifiably insane.
- How long have they been a couple? They aren’t technically a couple (yet. Otter is determined to change that once Haka gets his act together). However, they’ve been working together/awkwardly flirting for two years now.
- How committed/loyal are they to each other? Would they break up over a secret or a disagreement? Could stress drive them apart? Would they die for each other? They basically live stress. They pretend not to be loyal, and since they aren’t together (technically) they can’t (technically) be driven apart. I’m fairly sure (as is the rest of the Precinct) that Haka would claw throats out, should something happen to Otter; and Otter would, without hesitation, sic every last Mutt on anyone who attempted to seriously harm Haka.
- List “food quirks” they know about each other. (Ex: how they take their coffee, if they’re allergic to something, etc….and feel free to mention other non-food quirks!) Haka takes his coffee with copious amounts of cream and sugar, while Otter takes hers black. She also attempts to make Haka drink black coffee because it’s healthier. Because Haka is usually high on ‘stardust,’ it warps his sense of taste; hence he has a massive sweet tooth.
- Does anyone disapprove of their relationship? Not really. Pretty much everyone acknowledges that Otter is good for Haka and he would probably be dead without her, passed out in a trash can somewhere.
- What would be an ideal date? For Haka, any date without animals. For Otter, probably a roller-skating rink.
- What are their personality dynamics? Similar? Contrasting? Do they fight a lot or mesh perfectly? Oh, they fight a lot. Haka is very unimpressive at first glance (also the second and third glances) – lanky, wrecked, gracefully falls over every piece of furniture in sight, demanding, irritable. Otter is fierce, kindhearted, outspoken, and doesn’t really know what rules are (unless she’s the one who made them). They contrast, but they contrast in a way that highlights the best in each of them.
- What have been their best and worst moments together as a couple? Well, as an employee/underling, they’ve had many successful moments. As for their best and worst moments, their interactions mostly consist evenly of both.
- Where do they see themselves and their relationship in the next few years? Otter sees herself claiming Haka in the near-ish future. Haka sees himself claimed. (He already is, but he’s not totally aware.) This is, of course, on the back burner as far as they’re concerned – they have more important things to worry about in the meantime, like doing their jobs so they aren’t beheaded by the Prince-Regent.